Sunday, February 17, 2013

Background

I grew up in a family of competitve swimmers.  After my final four years of swimming for the University of Iowa (Go Hawks!), I traded in my swimsuit for running shoes and running became my passion.  I have completed 8+ half marathons, 4 marathons (including two Boston Marathon qualifiers, although due to a series of injuries I have yet to run Boston), several sprint and olympic-distance triathlons, and Ironman Racine 70.3 in 2012.  It was after completing Racine--and having the time of my life--that I began to think that a full Ironman was possible.  I read every Ironman book, blog, and race report I could get my hands on.  I then found out that my cousin, Kate, was planning on registering for IM Wisconsin for 2013 and I was sold. 


Shortly before registering for IMWI back in September, I read Don Fink's Be Iron Fit  and decided to follow the 30 week "competitive" training plan.  I was also given another 30 week plan by a friend who completed Wisconsin last year.  As week 1 of training approached, I decided that Fink's first 10 week cycle ("base") was a little light compared to the training that I've been doing leading up until now.   So I re-evaluated Fink's first 10 weeks and my friend's plan's first 10 weeks and decided to mesh the two together.  A little heavier on the training distances than Fink's plan but following the same training days and keeping all of the workouts in HR zone 2.  As the second 10-week "build" phase approaches, I plan on going back to Fink's plan because I like that he starts incorporating some interval training.  My weakness is definitely on the bike--I am actually somewhat of a disaster on two wheels--so I hope to really focus on and improve in that discipline.  But most of all, after 2 years of stress fracture and tendonitis-related injuries, I hope to train smart and stay healthy.  

I am also a self-proclaimed foodie and I love to cook healthy dishes for my friends and family.  My eating habits have always been fairly good, but recently I've become more aware of the health risks associated with processed foods and have been attempting to get my whole family on a more plant-based, natural-foods diet.  My kids are starting to come around, and at the very least will have a basic understanding of why eating natural foods and avoiding processed foods is an important part of staying healthy.  This journal is to chronicle 7 months of training and fueling my way through an Ironman year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment